Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Arkansas Razorbacks... Real deal?

Did Saturday's loss to Alabama prove anything for Arkansas?

Personally I feel that the loss to Alabama, although it was devastating to many Razorback fans, did a great deal for Arkansas Football. Last night I was having a conversation with a close friend about this topic. I understand his argument that the Razorbacks loss by 4 points to Alabama is just another "close" victory to a good team. But this Alabama team isn't just your every day team. They are without a doubt the best college football team over the past two and a half seasons. Since 2008, Alabama has gone 29-2. One lose to Florida in 2008 SEC Championship game, which Florida went on to win the National Championship and then of course their bowl game that year they lost to Utah. Out of the 29 victories Alabama has had only had two games where they won by less that four points. And then twice they have won by four points, and one of those times was Saturday against Arkansas.

What does this have to do with whether Arkansas is on the map now and can be considered the real deal or not? Well, honestly to me, the fact that in the past two seasons they are one of six teams to actually pose a "challenge" to this team says a lot. Let's look at the other teams that either beat or came close to this Alabama Dynasty, if I can call it that.

October 4, 2008.
Alabama 17, Kentucky 14

Sure you look at this and say, "They won by 3 points". Well, considering they were up by 10 until the last drive where Kentucky put on 7 points. That says something to me. 17-7 is a pretty good victory in my book.

October 18, 2008
Alabama 24, Mississippi 20

Alabama led this game 24-3 at halftime. They slipped at the end, which happens when you get comfortable in any situation. But the key thing is they held when they needed to. So I will give this game as a pose of a slip up by this Alabama Dynasty.

December 6, 2008
Florida 31, Alabama 20

They lost this game to the team that would go on to convincingly win the National Championship game. The Florida team that year is possibly one of the best teams in the past 5 years of college football, up there with the now Alabama team, from this year and last year.

January 2, 2009
Utah 31, Alabama 17

I don't need to say much about this defeat. Utah at the time was questionably a BSC Championship contender and by many was considered one of the best teams that year in football. So for Alabama to lose, at least to me, was that much of a surprise.

October 24, 2009
Alabama 12, Tennessee 10

This is another blunder by the Alabama team. With a total of 256 yards of total offense, this is possibly the worst showing of the Alabama offense in the past two and a half seasons. But their defense held strong blocking two field goals to propel Alabama to a victory.

September 25, 2010
Alabama 24, Arkansas 20

The only game in the six listed, excluding the two loses, where Alabama has been trailing most of the game. Arkansas just couldn't finish, which is an aspect of your usual Arkansas team. But I saw something that made me excited. I saw Arkansas come out with a lot of energy. They push this Alabama team to the wire and made them start to sweat. But as you expect from the defending National Champs, they came out in the second half and played like a Championship team.

The purpose of this...

I know, as well as anyone, that Arkansas made a few key mistakes in the fourth quarter that ultimately cost them the game. This game actually reminds me a lot of the game in 2004 against Texas that Arkansas lost with a final score, 22-20. But the team we have now is a lot better. More key players and more players that can make plays. Where the team in 2004 ended up going 6-5, I predict the Arkansas team this year will end the season with a nice record of 11-2. Which will be the best season that an Arkansas team will have had in a long time! If people can't look at that as a positive, then I don't get people.

This Arkansas team can play with any team in the nation and Saturday proved that. I beg Razorback fans to not lose hope or faith in this team, as I have heard many people question since Saturday. This team is real and isn't going anywhere. Be excited for this year and what is to come with the Razorbacks!

WOO PIG SOOIE!

Last but not least, I am going to go on a limb and say that Alabama will most likely run the table in the SEC. Although I would love to see them lose to Auburn and then in return Arkansas beat Auburn, so then Arkansas will be in the picture of winning the SEC West and competing for the SEC Championship. But with that said, I don't really see Alabama losing more than one game this season, if that. But I am glad to know that Auburn is a good team this year and pose a threat to them. Keep your fingers crossed Hog fans!

I'm OUT!!!

1 comment:

  1. Don't get me wrong, I am as upset and frustrated about the lose as anyone, but I have to look at it optimistically!

    ReplyDelete