Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

6 Days Until the NBA is Back! What's the deal with LeBron hating?

Some might argue that it is back... but I don't see the preseason as the NBA being back. Yes, it is the NBA, but you don't even see the star players or the big teams step it up yet. You could almost argue, that some teams don't step it up until the post season, but they do what they have to to get bye. An example of that would be a team like Boston, who with age understand that the NBA season is 82 games as well as at least 16 games to win the NBA Championship.

I am super excited for it to get here and can't wait. Sunday morning I have a draft for my NBA fantasy league. It is hosted by my friend Andrew Roberts, who runs a blog called The Groundskeeper. Right now he is writing a lot about the MLB postseason. But I know he is just as excited as I am for the NBA season to start.

Get off LeBron's back! Please!


I was on Facebook.com the other day and I saw a comment on one of my friends wall's that made me start to think. It said "just heard a comment from an ESPN analyst that you might get a kick out of: 'the notion that LeBron James will AVERAGE a triple-double this season is preposterous, he would have to be dyslexic to pull of numbers like that.' HA!" I didn't personally hear the analyst say that, but for some reason it doesn't surprise me that it would be said about one of the most hated players in the NBA. Especially since his special on TV "The Decision" aired.

The world is full of LeBron haters. And it makes me laugh with comments like these. LeBron James is undoubtedly the most dominant player in the NBA. Dominant meaning, quarter 1-4 who is going to give you the best production and best numbers. I am personally sick of people talking down on him saying "he would only average a triple-double because he cares more about stats than anyone else". Now that is a preposterous statement!

Possibly one of the greatest all around players to ever play basketball was Oscar Robertson. He averaged a triple-double for a whole seasons, and almost the first 5 years in the NBA he averaged a combined triple-double. So by the fact that he averaged those numbers, does that make him one who cares more about his stats? Or does that make him more for his own glory?

On the contrary. Someone who can average even a double-double with anything and assists seem to be out for the team. Sure there might be a little bit of personal want for those numbers, but if you don't have the desire to be recognized, then you aren't going to succeed at anything in life. Let alone at the professional level of any sport.

It took Oscar Robertson 10 seasons in the NBA to win a championship. It will take LeBron 8 or 9 years max. Not comparing LeBron to him, but LeBron seems to be able to be compared to him as far as ability to be the all around player teams are looking for. Another one that is comparable is Magic Johnson. Magic Johnson, just like Robertson and James, is a huge body with the ability to beat you any way on the court.

Now, back to my point. LeBron James may not average a triple-double. But I promise that his stats, with the exception of point total, will increase. Making the chance for him to average a triple-double possible. Am I saying he will? No, I just think it is possible with the team that he has around him. With Wade and Bosh, a lot of pressure will be off of LeBron's shoulders and he will be able to be more aggressive on defense and offense to crash the boards. He will have more trustworthy players to pass the ball to. With those two factors, there is no way his rebound and assist stats won't increase. Also include an increase in steals and blocks.

I am sick of the LeBron haters and can't wait for this season to start so he can shut everyone up like he has done since his first season in the NBA. I am convinced it is in people's natural instinct to want the worst for a player or person who has a chance to make it better for themselves. This is a prime example of my belief. While the rest of the NBA world wants him to fail, I say more power to him and may he prove everyone wrong!

3 comments:

  1. I rather thought his stats might *decrease*, now that he can share the offensive load.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is possible to see a decrease in his point total, but I believe the rest will increase. To me it's just part of the whole being able to not have pressure on him as much and having a lighter load.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Lebron does well, I'd like to see some more great match ups in the East

    ReplyDelete