Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Birthday Post (I am talking about USA Soccer)

Today, I am not going to post much, due to the fact that it's my birthday! I am getting old... I turned 23 today. I am going on a Denny's Free Grand Slam Day... That's 3 Grand Slams for free from Denny's because it's my BIRTHDAY! I already had one this morning at 8 A.M. And boy was it good! :D

You know what grinds my gears!? (Yes, I got that from Family Guy, the episode when Peter goes and works for the news station, that is his segment.) People who think that soccer (futbol) isn't a sport. Growing up, soccer was the sport of choice in my parents house. Some of the earliest stories about me I have heard include me with a soccer ball. My hat goes off to the people who play soccer at any level, especially professional and international soccer. I don't know of any other sport where people can run and constantly be moving, at the pace they do in soccer, for 90 minutes, 45 minutes each half. I know for myself, I have a hard enough time just getting off the couch while watching a sporting event to go get a drink or use the restroom. And on top of that, the body control and the footwork that the world class soccer players possess is not matched by any other sport.

Having grown up playing soccer and learning the basic footwork and body control, I was able to transition to play almost any sport that I wanted to. Now granted, I was never amazing at any sport, but I have been decent at almost all sports I have ever tried. I believe that it all comes from my learning to play soccer at such a young age.

This past summer was the World Cup, the biggest sporting event in the WORLD! I have to give a shout out to the USA Soccer Team. Although they go ousted, by Ghana, the way they played and represented the USA was awesome. Who remembers what they were doing when Landon Donovan scored the goal against against Algeria? I know I do... I was sitting in College Algebra class looking at live updates on my phone... As time passed and the score was still 0-0 I started to get nervous. Then as the 90th minute came, I was thinking "Great... Overtime". But then all the sudden the score popped up 1-0!!!!!! GOAL USA!!!!!! Goal Landon Donovan!!!!! This was possibly the most exciting moment in USA Soccer to this point. I look forward to the next World Cup and to see the progress that the USA has made in the world of soccer! Enjoy the video, I still get chills when I see this! This is true USA Unity!!! USA!!!


Like I said, this is going to be short, it's my birthday, and I don't really want to be writing blogs all day! So that it! I'm OUT!!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a sports fan, so you won't be seeing me here much, but I did enjoy you talking about playing soccer as a kid. Someday take a minute and thank your folks for the hours they spent providing those memories for you, will you? Happy Birthday, Travis! Enjoy your free Denny's meals today!

    ReplyDelete