Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

And we now have a new #1 team in the nation!

As is common knowledge now, Alabama last to South Carolina in what was a horrible performance by Alabama. Alabama couldn't move the ball on offense, and couldn't stop South Carolina on defense. I have to give it up to South Carolina, I wasn't expecting them at all to come out and beat Alabama. South Carolina really proved they have a legit team this year.

So, as it stands in the AP Top 25, Ohio State is #1 then Oregon and Boise State. Followed by TCU and the Nebraska to round out the Top 5. Here is the complete AP Top 25:

1 Ohio State

2 Oregon

3 Boise State

4 TCU

5 Nebraska

6 Oklahoma

7 Auburn

8 Alabama

9 LSU

10 South Carolina

11 Utah

12 Arkansas

13 Michigan State

14 Stanford

15 Iowa

16 Florida State

17 Arizona

18 Wisconsin

19 Nevada

20 Oklahoma State

21 Missouri

22 Florida

23 Air Force

24 Oregon State

25 West Virginia

The Top 5...

In my opinion I believe the top 5 is pretty accurate of where the teams are. I do believe that outside of Ohio State, that the other 4 teams could all really go in just about any order. I tend to favor teams in bigger conferences though, so I personally like Nebraska over a team like TCU.

A lot of talk I hear is about the BCS rankings that are going to come out this next weekend. They say that the way it stands that Ohio State will be #3 behind Boise State and Oregon. I was reading an article of CBSSports.com senior writer, Dennis Dodd, and I am convinced that he has gone senile! He claims that to this point in the season Boise State has a tougher schedule... That is ridiculous to even try to say. You can say that Boise State has played 2 ranked teams, at the time they played, compared to Ohio State only playing 1 ranked team. But you can never convince me that New Mexico State, Wyoming, or San Jose State even come close to being as "tough", if I can use that word, as Indiana, Illinois, or shoot, I might even say Marshall would be all three of the teams Boise State has played. So Dennis Dood, I think you are stupid and I don't know how you are a Senior Writer for CBSSports.com. Here is a link to the article I am referring to. "Ohio State #1? Voters just took easy way out"

SEC Weak?

In the same article, Dennis Dodd states "
Unless LSU or Auburn runs the table, then the SEC is assured of a one-loss (at least) champion. That doesn't mean the SEC is out of it. LSU won a title in 2007 with two losses. It does mean there is a lot of competition and the conference's position is weakened." Once again, a stupid comment. How anyone can state that the SEC is a weak conference. Look at the Top 25, in the top 12 ranked teams, the SEC pulls in 5 ranked teams. The next closest conference is the Big Ten with 5 teams in the whole Top 25!!! The more I read what Dennis Dodd says, the less intelligent I really believe he is. In my opinion, the SEC is still the top conference in college football.

Arkansas Drops to #12?

Am I the only person confused by this? Let's look at something. Week 6, LSU, ranked #12 at the time, barely beats a HORRIBLE Tennessee team, Tennessee's current record is 2-3. A game which anyone who watched it, can see that LSU should have lost. The poll comes out and they stay #12. Fast forward to this week. Arkansas, ranked #11, plays a close game with Texas A&M, who as of right now is the #15 offense in the nation, and some how Arkansas slides back one position to #12. Now how does that make sense to anyone?

Sure you can say, "well, LSU beat Florida so they deserved to jump up to #9". I would like to point out, LSU should have lost that game as well. I think South Carolina is more deserving of the #9 rank after beating Alabama. LSU is horrible, and they will drop 3 of their last 6 games in the SEC and everyone will understand my point. Needless to say, I think Arkansas deserved, maybe not to jump up a spot, but at least to stay at #11.

In Closing

I am glad Alabama lost. I am glad Arkansas won. With Alabama losing it gives Arkansas a chance to still play in the SEC Championship game if Arkansas can beat Auburn and then win the tie breaker, assuming all 3 teams tie for first in the SEC West. I look forward to previewing next weekends matchups! Thanks for the support and love everyone! I'm OUT!!!

On another note, I was 12-6 on my predictions last week... better luck this week!

9 comments:

  1. Should have lost is different than actually losing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with that statement. But if you are going to drop one team for the reason of "almost losing", eg. Arkansas. Then likewise you should drop another team for almost losing. Or staying in the current rank. The way the rankings are done is completely bias and lacks a lot of consistency.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boise State almost lost to Virginia Tech's second string at home, and beat #24. Those barely count as victories against ranked teams.

    If Boise State played in the SEC, they'd finish 13th, every year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, but the victories were nonetheless against "ranked" teams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boise St would beat half the teams in the SEC...I hate them but they are much better than people give them credit for. Including me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. FYI...Dodd doesnt say the SEC is weak, he's saying that there is alot of compettion in the SEC and that its weakens them, in the sense that they likely wont get a title game bid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dodd is still stupid, and I know what he said, but it wasn't what I felt he implied. And the level of competition shouldn't alter someones chance for a title shot, if anything it should enhance it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It should your right, but what Dodd is saying that in the eyes of the voters it'll hurt them because they have a greater chance at losing games since they play tougher teams, he's simply saying what the voters are thinking...
    Apparently you dont know what he said, becasue you said he said something he didnt...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I understand your point and you make a good one. But regardless, most of Dodd's stuff is full of stupid comments. And I personally think the one about the SEC's position being weakened because of the competition is stupid.

    ReplyDelete