Pages

Monday, November 7, 2011

Seriously? #8?

What a wonderful weekend this was for College Football! Especially in the SEC! Since I am an SEC homer, I am going to focus on the action it had this weekend.

#7 Arkansas vs #9 South Carolina

I am not going to lie, I am very disappointed with the most recent BCS poll that came out tonight! How did Oregon jump Arkansas? Oregon played a lack luster Washington team and beat them by 17, while Arkansas beat South Carolina, who was ranked #9 at the time, by 16. And it could have easily been more, except for a few dropped balls that would have been touchdowns.

Arkansas had the game from the opening kick off. There were a couple questionable times that had me questioning if they were going to have another slow start. I actually remember saying to my girl friend right before half time that it was weird to actually see Arkansas winning at half time.

Take away a couple of mishaps on the offensive side of the ball and we have a blowout! A dropped ball by Ronnie Wingo and then one by Cobi Hamilton would have both gone for touchdowns. And then add on the interception for a touchdown that South Carolina got given to them by Tyler Wilson. With out those, it is a 21 point swing. And the game could have been 58-21 as easily as it was really 44-28.

I would grade Arkansas an A on the game. The offense was flawless, except for the above mentioned plays. And the defense held the Gamecocks to only 207 total yards. Special teams was great with a return for a touchdown by Dennis Johnson and and a sub par night for Zach Hocker, only connecting on 3/5 field goals.

I am upset with the latest polls, but with a big week ahead for several schools in front of Arkansas. I expect to see them move up more, assuming that Arkansas wins. And hopefully it will be big.

#1 LSU vs #2 Alabama

LSU won in the defensive battle of the decade, 9-6. I don't really have much to say, other then both defenses looked amazing. And both offenses looked horrible. And Alabama's special teams looks worse then the Cleveland Cavs last year when they were on their NBA record setting losing streak.

I think Alabama gave the game to LSU. The offense didn't show up. And the kickers must have had cramps when he went to kick the ball.

I look forward to watching LSU and Arkansas on November 25th. Mark my word, it will be a lot closer than people expect!

What to look for this next weekend?

#15 Georgia and #20 Auburn looks to be an interesting game. Georgia has a lot riding on this game. If they lose then it puts South Carolina in the drivers seat in the SEC East. But if they win, you can pretty much assume they are going to the SEC Championship game.

The 3 top teams in the SEC; LSU, Arkansas, Alabama will all have simple games this week. Don't look for any upsets among these three.

Outside of the SEC I am looking forward to two matched. #4 Stanford vs #7 Oregon. And #5 Boise State vs TCU.

There are obvious reasons I am interested in Stanford and Oregon, it's the game of the week. And one of them have to lose, and personally I have a feeling it will be Stanford. And the other game is just the only real challenge Boise State has left this season. It was about the same week last season that Boise State lost to Nevada. I am not calling an upset, but I do put this game on an upset alert and a fun game to watch.

That's all for this episode. Thanks for tuning in! Feel free to leave any comment or feedback!

2 comments:

  1. I really can't figure it out. Beating a #9 team should be worth more than beating a #nothing team... right? Sagarin ratings have Arkansas at #4, which seems much more realistic.

    I worry... if Arkansas beats LSU, and everyone else wins out, will the SEC be left without a BCS National Title team? The pollsters love Stanford for some odd reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Arkansas wins out, and Alabama wins out, I feel that Alabama will get a NC shot. I doubt Stanford will jump them. And with Staford playing Oregon, it would surprise me to see Stanford to lose. Oregon is better than USC. And USC should have beat Stanford.

    ReplyDelete